Safety, functionality, beautiful design – in decorating the interior of a girl’s room should take into account everything. This article will tell you what to consider when planning and show inspiring examples of children’s bedrooms with different tasks.
Designing a space for a child requires a special approach. Here are the main points to consider when planning.
Children grow quickly, so the room should be as mobile as possible. Even for an infant baby interior should be thought out for growth: to make room for a working area, to think about where they will store clothes and toys, to create a neutral design, which as long as possible will not get bored, and be sure to leave room for imagination. When the girl will grow up and her taste will start to form, it is important that she could decorate the bedroom at her discretion.
The main thing is safety. All appliances and electrical systems should be out of a child’s reach or additionally protected. The furniture should have no sharp corners, so that he was not accidentally injured. There may be a soft rug on the floor. Make sure that all suspended structures and decorations are securely fastened, and they cannot be accidentally dropped on themselves.
Children’s room – a whole world for her mistress in the apartment space, so the bedroom should be all the necessary zones: for rest, active and developmental games, for lessons and reading, and if the daughter is very young, and a place for parents – a sofa or an armchair. In the interior of a child’s room for a girl from 7 years should necessarily be a full and well-lit place for studies, although for a younger child it is important, the first crafts start much earlier than school.
The atmosphere of the children’s space is largely created by the palette. It should be universal – here the child and then the teenager will sleep, study and play, so the colors should be suitable for all kinds of activities.
Since the tastes of the hostess will be actively formed and change, it is better to think of such a palette, so that it remains relevant for a long time and does not have to make repairs every year. It is important to consider the characteristics of a growing personality: if her daughter loves to play with dolls and dreams of being a princess, arrange her a pink paradise, and if she prefers cars and active games to dolls, experiment with other colors (yellow, blue, white, blue).
The finish in the children’s bedroom should be versatile, practical and safe for health. Choose eco-friendly hypoallergenic materials.
For the floor will do parquet, cork or laminate. The coating should be resistant to mechanical stress and not slippery. It is better to put a soft carpet on top, so there will be no injuries during the game.
Most exposed to the walls: they are damaged, painted, scratched. Finishing should be practical and simple, as well as easy to care for. Paint or washable wallpaper are good options. As a basis for the palette, it is better to choose muted pastel colors that will not put pressure on the psyche and balance the irrepressible energy of children. Add bright colors to an interior with a neutral finish with the help of active prints on the wallpaper and bright accents.
Keeping things in order where there are children is an eternal problem. So that cleaning does not turn into a daily nightmare, it is important at the stage of the project to think about how storage will be organized. To do this, you need to follow a few principles.
Everything has its own place. Clothes and bed linen – in a cupboard, which is better placed next to the bed or changing table. Toys, designers, kits for creativity – in the gaming area, it is desirable to allocate them a separate shelf or shelf, to which the girl will be able to reach. All the stationery – at work, very helpful wall organizer and drawers in the table.
Group toys. Those that daughter plays all the time, you can keep in an open basket or box, they should always be at hand. For all the rest is better to find a place in a closed storage system, but it is important that the mistress of the bedroom had access to them and she knew where she lies. But dangerous items for kids (small parts, a construction set, scissors) is better to keep upstairs – so that only adults have access.
Do not make it harder. So that the girl herself can get and clean things in girl’s room, use simple designs: shelves, drawers, boxes and baskets, convenient shelves. Complex multifunctional systems help to save space, but a small child may simply not be able to cope with them.
In the interior of a girl’s room of 10-12 years should provide a closet or a small closet, where she will be able to organize her own clothes.
Space for games and creativity (age about 4-7 years)
In this project, the designers took into account all areas of children’s development. Near the window they organized a place for creativity with a slate panel, on which the little hostess can write and draw, opposite – a compact workplace, where she can play educational games and read. At the entrance we placed a sports corner and a soft group with a canopy, where you can hide, play with dolls and just relax and dream.
Ideas to note
- Storage systems can also act as zoning tools – for example, in this project, shelving and a closet visually separate zones for different activities.
- To make the little lady feel cozy and protected, you can make the bed with a canopy or in the form of a house, as here.
- If the overall finish is neutral, you can add brightness to the room with an accent wall – paint or use photo wallpaper.
A cozy nook for two sisters (ages 5-12)
If there are two daughters in the family, and space does not allow for two separate bedrooms for them, it is important to properly zone the common room and consider the needs of both children. This project is an example of how you can put everything you need if you use the space wisely.
Ideas to note
- If the room is not very large, the usable area can be increased by using the second tier. In this case, above the beds organized a closed corner for games and rest, where the sisters can spend time together or separately, without distracting each other.
- In order for the children to have their own space, the beds are better separated – for example with a partition, which can be used as additional space for small items. And if it is not solid, then the sisters will be easy to talk.
- In a bedroom for two will be twice as much stuff, so you need to think about as many storage systems as possible, preferably built-in and closed with doors.
Minimalism and Functionality (4-10 years)
Is minimalism appropriate in a child’s space? This project proves that unequivocally yes. Laconic forms, concealed storage and a simple palette – the bedroom for a little lady is restrained and maturely elegant, but not boring at all.
Ideas to note
- Built-in closet, where clothes, toys and other necessary things can be stored without cluttering the room.
- A working area in an alcove that continues the storage system and doesn’t take up unnecessary space.
- Open shelving from floor to ceiling, which simultaneously serves as another tool for organizing space and a decorative element – on the shelves you can put your favorite books and toys, as in the photo.
A bedroom without the color pink (ages 6-12)
A girl’s bedroom is firmly associated with shades of pink, but this is not the only possible solution. For example, in this project, the designer used a calm palette in gray tones with local orange and blue accents.
The interior of such a children’s room will suit a girl of 5 years and older: there is a recreational area, and a place for games, and a work table, where you can do creative work, do tasks, and after some time and school lessons.
Ideas to note
- If the daughter is older preschool or junior school age, you need to think about a place for a parent near the desk – in this case it is a comfortable upholstered chair.
- For basic storage, it is better to organize a hidden built-in system, so that there is no clutter, and in plain sight to leave a few favorite toys, in which the mistress of the room plays most often.
- To neutral palette did not look boring, use wallpaper with a print and cute little things – for example, shaped wall lamps and posters.
Interior of a small children’s room for a girl (5-11 years)
It seems that in a small space will necessarily have to sacrifice something: either beauty or functionality. But with a properly organized layout, this is not at all necessary. So, the author of this project provided space in a small area for all the necessary areas for a little housewife.
Ideas to note
- If the room is long, you can do consecutive zoning, as in this project: a built-in closet along the entire wall, then a play area, a sleeping place and a working corner by the window.
- In a limited space, choose compact elements of the play area: for example, a slate board will not take up much space, and a lightweight teepee can easily be removed from the room at any time.
- The work nook does not have to include a full-fledged massive table – it can be made an extension of the window sill, and the free space under the tabletop can be used for a basket or a box of toys.
Design for Growing Up (0-3 years)
This project is a good example of how you can arrange a place for a little family member who has appeared in the house quite recently. A discreet color scheme, comfortable furniture, a roomy closet – this basis in the future can easily be transformed into an interior in accordance with the character of the hostess of the room.
Ideas to note
- In the bedroom for an infant, it is better to make the most neutral finish – then it will be easy to complement the decor and other bright elements.
- Since parents spend a lot of time with a newborn baby, it is important to provide a place for them to rest in the room – in this case it is a soft chair and sofa, on which you can lie down at any time.
- Choose furniture so that in the future it will be easy to transform and remove from the room, replacing it with a new one. Do not try to fill all the space now – let there be room for toys, a table, a sports wall, etc.